Shocking | 

Footage shows man armed with knife threatening staff in Dublin supermarket

Gardaí in Cabra were alerted to the incident in an Aldi supermarket in Ashtown, Dublin 15 on Friday night shortly after 9pm.

Footage shows man approach security guard with knife in Dublin supermarket

Neasa Cumiskey and Johnny Brew

A clip of a man threatening supermarket staff with a knife is circulating following riots that took place in Dublin on Thursday night.

Gardaí in Cabra were alerted to the incident in an Aldi supermarket in Ashtown, Dublin 15 on Friday night shortly after 9pm.

A garda spokesperson said it’s understood a staff member “was threatened at knife point by the customer who then left the premises empty handed.”

No one was physically harmed in the course of the incident and no arrests have been made at this time.

An investigation into the matter is ongoing.

A video of the incident shared on social media shows a man walking into the Aldi and shouting at a worker before taking out a knife as a staff member jumps backwards.

It comes amid violence in the capital following the stabbing of three children, aged five and six, and a care worker in her 30s, outside Gaelscoil Choláiste Mhuire in Parnell Square East on Thursday afternoon.

The five-year-old girl remains critically ill in Temple Street Hospital this weekend and 'hero' school worker Leanne Flynn Keogh is recovering from serious injuries.

A six-year-old girl who was stabbed was discharged from hospital yesterday and a five-year-old boy was allowed to go home on Friday.

The 49-year-old suspect suspect has been in an induced coma since the horror attack – meaning gardaí have been unable to question him as to his motive.

Following the incident, violence erupted in Dublin city centre as gardaí were assaulted, shops looted and garda cars, buses and Luas trams destroyed.

At the height of the violence, around 400 gardaí were dealing with what has been described as “mayhem” on the north side of Dublin city centre.

An estimated 60 gardaí were assaulted in chaotic riots on Thursday night.

Three of these officers suffered serious injuries, including one male garda who was hospitalised with a severe injury to a toe. That garda is based at Pearse Street station in the capital’s city centre.

Another garda suffered a broken ankle, while a third broke three fingers on one hand as they tried to contain the violence.

“Up to 60 gardaí suffered some form of injury last night when they were subjected to assaults. This includes cuts, bruises and significant scrapes as they were punched and kicked,” a source said.

Speaking on Friday, Garda Commissioner Drew Harris hit out at the far-right protestors for deliberately targeting his officers.

“Huge destruction from a riotous mob who were in effect responding, and trying to break into and disrupt the crime scene.

"Order was restored between 8.30pm and 9pm as we deployed more resources,” the commissioner said.

“An Garda Síochána responded to this entirely and in an extraordinary fashion.

Members from across the country responded, returned to duty, public order units from all over Ireland responded to Dublin.

“But we could not have anticipated that in response to a terrible crime, the stabbing of schoolchildren and their teacher, that this would be the response.

“In effect, those filled with hate and the hate directed towards An Garda Síochána, that they would attempt to storm through our cordon and disrupt a crime scene and then engage in violence, looting and disorder...nobody could have anticipated all of that that when these awful events started at 1.30pm.”

Today's Headlines

More Irish Crime

Download the Sunday World app

Now download the free app for all the latest Sunday World News, Crime, Irish Showbiz and Sport. Available on Apple and Android devices

WatchMore Videos